Thursday, August 31, 2006

Beware.....I'm fired up today boys and girls!

So today it started.

The beginning of a whole new life at crazy trimama's house. Up very early................but not early enough based on the frezy that ensued around 8:05.............drop off with no problems no whining or crying (by Winks anyway) at KINDERGARTEN! It went very well minus the fact that I forgot to pack him a drink for his lunch. Thank goodness a friend was driving down the street in front of the school on my way out to walk two blocks to the van to get my purse and grab some money for the milk machine.

Yep, I borrowed milk money on the first day of school!!!

Then off to a day of intellect, and academic discovery and professing knowledge abound about things that I enjoy in my profession and that I'm very passionate about to..................................

WHINING COLLEGE STUDENTS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it! I've tried to understand it and I'm to the point that I want to scream then sit back and watch as my head pops off my shoulders and splatters all over their whining faces! Come on people the sign out front says.....

"UNIVERSITY"

not

"HIGH SCHOOL"

or

"THE 13TH GRADE".

If any of my students ever read this, please forgive me. I will not use your names or your likenesses in this rant. But, I must in fact display some disgust in our time together today. I love you all, and forgive you for your immature display of behavior! May we come to an understanding that it is partially my job to ensure that you are not only a good therapist, but a thoughtful therapist I also intend to make sure you get your money's worth out of me. Broken you will not leave me for I am a warrior! A warrior in this fight! A warrior with a mission to see you succeed!!

Whoa.............I'm just getting started, so, hang on.................

I understand that because our program is selective in admissions and that we essentially teach the same 28-30 students for 4 semesters that we do get to know them on a more personal level than most professors would their students. I also understand that the students I have right now have me in front of them 6 hours a day 4 days a week. A lot of "stuff" is espoused in that time and there is a lot of work to be done in a short amount of time.

But,

I would never have asked a professer..............

"why do we have to do this project?"

"did the class before us have to do this project?"

"we have so many things to get done?"

"what do we need to know for the quiz?"

Why??????

Did they just ask me WHY?????????

I thought I was going to have to climb out the window and scale a wall and jump off the top of the building!!!

What the heck is going on? I was livid. I could feel my blood pressure rising. And to top it off they were asking this stupid stuff in front of our program director...........MY BOSS!

Hellowww!!!! Get a Grip!!

I blame this all on standardized testing.

It is the fault of someone with nothing better to do than sit around thinking of ways to make us more dumb................................

"Let's tell them exactly what they need to know, then teach it to them so they don't have to open their books or buy them for that matter since they are sooooo expensive. We also don't want them to think too hard, because we really are tired of people thinking for themselves because then they cause too much trouble. Yeah this is a great idea..............get the governor on the phone"

I wasn't the most brilliant student, but I worked hard. I would have never, ever questioned a teacher or professor in front of my class about an assignment. Heck, I would never consider questioning them in private. You know what I would do? I would get to my car, drive out of the parking lot and scream TO. MY. SELF.

How the heck would I fit all of this together I would ask TO. MY. SELF.

Would it get done?? Oh yes!

I worked part time during my undergrad years, and full time during 2 years after that, while going to school full time. And I graduated with honors! Because, I worked hard!!

Was it hard? Yep.

Was it worth it? Yep.

Did I get frustrated? Yep.

Did I cry? Yep.

Was I stressed? Yep..........you get the idea

What some of my students just don't get is that I work hard at this. I sacrifice time and energy on this. I LOVE this! My body is here working yes, but my heart and my mind are fully devoted to this program. I love teaching. I am extremely passionate about Physical Therapy and I want my students to feel that passion and understand that it's not about picking up a check. I don't do that here on campus, and I don't do that out in the field when I'm working with patients.

Do some of them understand? I think so. But, it's the ones who don't get it that I'm worried about. Be compassionate for crying out loud! Give something of yourself to your future! Have some drive, some heart, some fight in yourself! Show some initiative! Get fired up about learning!! Heck, get fired up about something!!! And if you can't , well then keep your mouth shut and don't bruise the spirits of those around you.

I am tired of trying to fire up people who just chose to be complacent about life. God has given us so many opportunites to shine. Don't take my shining moments and turn them into your bad day!

Get over it!!

Grab it!!

Take it!!

It's there for the taking!!

Use it!!

mama, out




1 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

Yep! I hear the same thing in my classes, except I'm one of the students, not the teacher. I can't believe how lazy people are. I get fed up at hearing students whine about 'how much work he gives us, wah...wah'. What a bunch of babies!

My 7th grade English teacher would tell us, 'You're in junior high now...' (that's what it was called when I was there) 'and we're not going to spoon-feed you anymore, you have to think and learn on your own.'

Tell them to 'grow up' or learn to be happy flipping burgers at Mickey D's!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home