Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Set a dog-gone goal already!!

So, here's the thing.

I've started training again. For what I haven't decided yet. But every race needs a base of training. I took a few weeks off from anything organized, you know.......run when you want......whatever....and I'm left with.....

Blah.

I'm walking more than I'm running at this point!!! How can it be that less than 3 months ago I was running 8-9 miles at a time? And enjoying those miles!

This morning I set out at about 6:30 for what I felt would be a wonderful morning to run along the lake. It was. I even wore a long sleeve shirt due to the wind off the water. It was beautiful. I was running strong, feeling great, a little bounce in my step, feeling the cushion of my wonderful new Saucony's..............to. the. end. of. my. street!

What?

Did you just stop at the end of the street?

Yes. I'm just gonna stretch for a minute.........early morning run......need some more wake-up time! Hams......good, Quads......good, Calves.....good.

Okay, I'm off.

Run behind the campus, past the soccer fields. Beautiful morning.

Oh cute dogs walking their owners towards me.........to. the. end. of. that. street.!!!

No way did your feet just stop again. It's not even a physical thing, where I'm saying "Wow I'm winded, let's slow down a bit." No. I just stop! What's up mama? You're a Wildflower Triathlete. You are crazy tri mama. You completed one of the most rigourous triathlon's on this planet just 3 months ago, and now you're running street lengths? What's up with that?

It's a mental block. That's the only way I can describe it. I hate it. And I don't use the word hate. But, I hate this feeling. I need goals in my life. I stress goal setting with my students all the time, and here I am just kinda floating through time. Granted, I've decided not to race any more big races this year, but how about a 5K, or 10K? I don't know. Looks like I'll have to get my mental toughness back.

I think I can, I think I can, I KNOW I CAN! It's all mental right now. Historically, I have had sports related mental blocks.......one really big one comes to mind right now.

While playing basketball in college as a freshman I was the 7th or 8th man. Never a starter, but eager to learn and play, and I worked very hard. My brother is the gifted athlete. I loved watching him run and play basketball, and long jump....I'm the one who was intense and just a downright hard worker. Not that he didn't work hard, it was just natural for him.

Anyway back to the story......freshman playing basketball, working hard, moving up the substitution rotation, getting some playing time, actually got put in as a 2nd 1/2 starter in a game in which we were getting our butts handed to us, did very well, made several key plays and actually scored several times, got my name in the paper, we still lost, but my coach saw a side of me she had not given me the chance to show. I could play baby, I could play hard. Not always the best shooter, but I could play. And, so I did. She began bringing me off the bench pretty regularly. I was playing my best and I worked hard. Things were moving right along through Christmas.

Then.......

Bam.......

Literally, Bam.........

I got knocked out by the biggest "girl" (or was it boy?) on our team. I don't know......but she was huge. This "member of our team" could throw a basketball the full LENGTH (baseline to baseline!) of the court and hit the wall on the opposite end.............crazy big thing!

She flattend me out during a drill. Out. Cold. Hit to the head. To the hospital. Concussion. Out of games for 2 weeks! I was never the same when I came back. Coach was trying her hardest to get me to grab the fire back, I just never was the same. It was a mental block.

So, what's my block now? I'm sure it's lack of a good goal. So, here I go. You are all witness to my goal setting principles. I teach the S-T-E-A-M method of goal setting.

S=state the goal

I will run the Run For The Grapes 5K (yah, only a 5K, gotta start somewhere) on Sept. 17. A reasonable goal

T=Time

Sept. 17..............51/2 weeks from now. Plenty of time. More than enough time really. Although it's longer than to the end of my street.........pathetic!!

E=Ensure success

plenty of time to get that distance down. Easy distance for me in the past.

A=Action oriented

pretty well covered in the action department. Increase mileage by 1/2 mile every 5 days. One off day every 10

M=Measureable

5K......any runner can run a 5K.....

One teeny tiny goal will set this trimama into action. That's really all I needed. One tiny goal!

So, thanks for letting me ramble. Hope you aren't totally thinking, "what is wrong with this girl?" I just need to work through my mental fatigue I guess!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home