Wednesday, July 26, 2006

End of summer? Already?

The past 2 weekends have completed my scheduled races for the summer. I have mixed emotions about that statement. On one hand I have a whopping 5 weeks until fall semester starts..........which terrifies me! Only because I have done nada to prepare for that upcoming schedule. 5 classes all of which I have taught before, 2 of which need updating and some re-vamping, 2 of which need new topics due to some recent changes. Have I begun any of it.........not a bit!!! So, I feel that I can concentrate some brain power onto that now.

On the other hand my mind and body crave a training routine. I love training. I love the feeling of discomfort that comes right in the middle of a hard run or bike, or swim. I love that "wow look what I just did feeling" when it's all over. Mind you, I am no elite athlete, but I love how I feel when I'm on track with a schedule. I'm also competitive. You wouldn't know that by seeing my results this past weekend in Cleveland (bottom of the list........major stomach cramps and a horrible surface to run on........the excuses keep coming.........it was just a painful run from T2 on!), but I love competition. I race people in the grocery store without them even knowing it. I race people at school in the halls (I usually win those!). I just like competition. So, I must fill that void with 'how fast can I get these courses up and ready'!! Sounds very exciting!!!! Not!!!!!

So, I must mention cheater-girl today. Cheater-girl came into my life on Sunday while in the Cleveland Triathlon. Anyone who has ever done a triathlon, or any road race for that matter can usaully pick out who is in their age group and take a guess as to how they may match up to you on race day. Well cheater-girl just made me angry!! I came across her in T1. I picked her out for a couple of reasons. She looked my age, and looked like I could take her on the bike.....I just had a feeling I could leave her in the dust (that competitive spirit!) She was easy to spot too, she had on a green tie-dye T-shirt (probably cotton..........newbie) So, she pulled in front out of T1. She was about 1/4 mile ahead of me on the bike during the first 4-5 miles but I reeled her in little by little. There were a few small inclines where we were pretty much cat and mouse, but I pulled ahead..............hummmmph eat my dust!!! The bike was a 2 lap 8 mile course, then you got off the freeway (yes, we rode on the freeway....it was closed and actually pretty cool), and did about a 1/2 mile little loop back to T2. At the end of the 1st lap there was a sharp turn to head back to begin your 2nd lap. I had slowed way down to make that turn and Tie-dye girl passed me.......no biggy......another incline coming.......I'll get ya........then.............she cheated!!!!!...........she made the turn onto the 2nd lap then pulled right off the freeway and down into T2................urrrrrrrgggghhhh!!! I was not happy. I even said on my way past the turn off......."you've got one more lap!" Christian girl -vs- Competitor girl. Christian girl would think "Oh well, she'll not win in the end! Competitior girl thought run that tie-dye girl down and pull her back on the course, we've got a race between us! I decided to be Christian Competitior girl, let her go and know that I really have won becasue I did the right thing............and I can check her time later and verify that............okay, okay, let it go!!!! I finished my last lap, and saw her on her way to turn to the finish line as I was entering T2 for the worst run I've ever had. I still think I could have beat her stomach cramps and all..............competitor girl...............I had a wonderful time enjoying that race..............christian girl...................hummmmmmph!

So, I will run for me for the remainder of the summer. I hope to increase my mileage back up to my Wildflower mileage (8) then go up from there depending on how I feel. I also have 10 lbs. that came after Wildflower that have decided to linger, so back to the food tracking! Eating whatever just doesn't work for me! I'm loving spending quality time with Winks, Bug and Ceito too. I have wednesday nights blocked off too for a kick-boxing class I haven't been able to attend regularly, and I'm tossing around the idea of yoga. That should be pretty! Miss I-have -no-flexibility-at-all in yoga! I see a muscle strain coming! Do you know a good Physical Therapist?????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home